I have made these year end round-up posts every year since 2007. ( 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. God-willing and the river don't rise, I will continue to make them, moving forward into the future.
When I look back at my yearly reviews, I am humbled by my ambitions. I very rarely accomplish everything I set out to do, but I don't consider that a failure. Instead, I also look at what I have accomplished and find cause for celebration.
These were my plans for 2013:
- Revise/edit the ghost story (which really, really needs a title) and DERELICT
- Brainstorm with Nephele regarding what to write next/continue to align goals with the aim of publication
- Complete and publish the Ultimate SF&F Workshop Anthology
- Write 4-6 new short stories
So, dear readers, how did I do?
- Revised and edited DERELICT, and it is currently now on submission through Nephele Tempest, my agent.
- Along with my co-editor, Talib Hussain, I released PEN-ULTIMATE: A SPECULATIVE FICTION ANTHOLOGY at Readercon 2013. As this was conceived as a charity project, we are thrilled to have already made our first donation to the SFWA emergency medical fund.
- One of my short stories was included in the THEME-THOLOGY: INVASION anthology.
- Wrote 1 new short story and revised three others. (Short stories are hard!)
- Working with a developmental editor, finished a complete 'renovation' of a trunked novel, now named OATHBREAKER'S PRICE, an alternate-world fantasy. It is now being read by an acquiring editor of a small press.
- First draft: I am approximately 2/3 to 3/4 through the first draft of the as-yet unnamed sequel to THE BETWEEN.
- Close to 80 blog posts between Once in a Blue Muse Blog and guest posts for other writing sites.
- Poetry: a dozen or so poems
- Enjoyed being part of the programs for both Boskone and Readercon in 2013 and am looking forward to my participation in 2014.
So, all in all, this was a very productive year. I have a lot planned for 2014 and it has the possibility of being a very exciting year!
- Forging ahead in a hybrid path to publication, while my agent is actively submitting DERELICT, I will be independently publishing several novels, including a YA fantasy, FUTURE TENSE in early 2014 and readying THE BETWEEN's sequel by the end of 2014.
- I look forward to the chance to experience working with a small press on OATHBREAKER'S PRICE. If the manuscript is not picked up by the press, I will publish it under Interrobang Books sometime mid-year.
- I will be joining a group writing blog with several amazing and talented ladies, but I can't tell you about it yet. :) But don't worry, Once in a Blue Muse Blog will still be my main blogging home.
- I am dipping my toes into a collaborative middle grade project with a writer I've worked with from Google+. Again, I can't divulge the details yet, but I'm excited about working on something so different from my usual writing fare.
- With the skills I have developed in full-contact revision, I will be assessing one of my early high fantasy novels for its resurrection potential while the next novel finds me.
Have a great 2014, one and all.